Sunday, November 23, 2014

Educating with Harry Potter: Your responses!

I asked for your opinions last week on using Harry Potter in school curriculum and got one general answer: the books are too long to be taught in school.

Most of you did agree with the New York Times article in that it definitely promotes important messages for students, but that books of that length should be found in the school library and that teachers should encourage students to read them outside of the classroom environment.

In response, I would have to agree that most of the Harry Potter books are too lengthy to be taught. I honestly didn't even think about it until I received your comments--I was just too excited at the possibility of adding these books to required reading in school.

However, the first three books are a reasonable length, it's at a point in the series where things really haven't started to unfold yet and therefore the first three books are significantly shorter than the rest of the series.

I received a couple of comments saying other books could be used in place of Harry Potter to help promote the same morals that I discussed in my first post, what are some of those other books? If length wasn't an issue, could Harry Potter be used in the classroom? At this point, though, it's fair to guess that most high school children and older have read them already.


No comments:

Post a Comment